Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Modesty: A Lesson From the 70's


“In like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel.”  1 Timothy 2:9-10
 

Modesty.

It was a word I’d heard over and over again as a teenager growing up in the 70’s. I doubt however, if most teenage girls today know its meaning.

The Greek word for modest is Kosmios, meaning orderly, well-arranged, decent, modest, harmonious arrangement, or adornment. Modesty is also Biblically applied to one's demeanor or behavior. This same Greek word is translated good behavior.

During the 70’s, halter tops (backless shirts); hot pants (now called “booty” shorts); happy legs (wide leg pants); hip huggers (low rise pants); and miniskirts (skirts way above the knee); were not only in trend, but were the antithesis of modesty. The 70’s was a time of rebellion: people protested the Vietnam War, women burned their bras, and prayer was removed from schools, among other things.



As a 70's teen, I wanted to dress in vogue, just like my contemporaries. Yet, despite the anything goes attitude of the culture, Mother’s mantra, “girls should always dress modestly,” never wavered.

For example, tops that didn’t require wearing a bra were forbidden. Miniskirts were okay as long as they weren’t super mini. And, well – short shorts were plain out of the question.

I was a willful child and would often test my boundaries, especially when it came to fashion.
 
One example of my obstinacy was on my 15th birthday. Thanks to the generosity of my grandparents, I was loaded. I had $20 burning a hole in my leather fringed purse. Sears and Roebuck was within walking distance from home; and that’s where I bought my very first (and last) halter top. It was a soft pink color that I thought accentuated my summer tan. And when I wore it for the first time (and last in front of my mother), she almost fainted. “That shirt has no back! Boys will get the wrong impression. And, for Pete’s sake, Beth, show a little modesty!”

Although I hated Mother’s rules back then and thought her to be prudish, today I’m extremely grateful for her determination to raise me fashionable but modestly.


Sadly, this millennium culture makes the 70’s look prudish. In a world where young girls are sexually preyed upon and sold into sex trafficking, it’s more important now than ever before to teach our daughters and granddaughters to dress modestly and not provocatively.

As a grandparent helping to raise my two granddaughters, Grace 12, and Bella 10, I want to teach them Kosmios, modesty, to respect and value their bodies.

God bought you with a high price; therefore, you must honor God with your bodies. 1 Corinthians 6:20

When young girls wear revealing clothes, exposing lots of skin, it conveys a message and solicits a response; whether they realize it or not.

If we don’t establish boundaries and instill a sense of self-worth into our daughters and granddaughters, this world will certainly cheapen their value.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God--this is your true and proper worship. Romans 12:1
 
I'd like to hear your suggestions. How are you teaching your daughters or granddaughters to value their bodies?  What do you think of todays' fashions for young girls-- too revealing?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, Great word.... I have been in this battle for the past ten years. My three beautiful daughters and three beautiful granddaughters, are not walking billboards. I do not mind spending more money on modesty. Thank you. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Venus, love the fact that you refuse both your daughters and granddaughters to be "walking billboards." Great way to reference modesty! I'm like you, it's worth the extra effort to teach our girls to honor their bodies.

    ReplyDelete