Monday, May 5, 2014

Spoiler Alert!

When a grandchild is born, so is a Grandparent.

Adrianna, are you really going to let them do that,” Tish says to me sarcastically.
 
Okay, my name is Beth, not Adrianna.  Adrianna is the daughter of a former neighbor of ours. Her grandparents had raised her since birth.  My earliest memory of Adrianna’s outrageous behavior is when I ran into them at the mall and witnessed the biggest temper tantrum I’d ever seen from a nine-year-old. She was throwing a hissy-fit over a pair of earrings. Out of sheer embarrassment, Ella, the grandmother, finally caved in and bought them for her.
 
Photo courtesy of ehattons.com
 
Years later when Adrianna turned sweet 16, Ella and grandpa, Frank, bought her a brand new red, BMW convertible. I was aghast, mainly because Ella and Frank were retired and lived on a limited income. But when it came to Adrianna, there simply were no limits.
 
Predictably, Adrianna had multiple fender-benders and speeding tickets, until a judge finally revoked her driver’s license for two years.

I shouldn’t have been surprised at the outlandish gift she received upon graduating high school, either. No fancy car this time. No sir, only the best for Adrianna; she got a boob-job instead. Yes, a complete set of enormous breasts.  

What is she planning on doing with those things? I remember thinking.

The answer came the end of that summer when she became a dancer and was using them for… well, you know.

My daughter, Tish, AKA: Aunt Kiki, my voice of reason at times, calls me Adrianna when I step out of Mommy Mode and into the proverbial spoil ‘em rotten Grandma Mode. A gentle reminder of the repercussions of overindulgence.
 
A grandparent's love is something I can only describe as extravagant. But extravagant love doesn't have to be demonstrated in massive amounts of sugar and material things.

For grandparents functioning in dual roles as grandparent and parent, we are raising children to become positive contributors to society, not freeloaders.

Here are some ideas to help keep you grounded. In the meantime, remember what love really means: TIME.

Three Tips to Spoil Right, Not Rotten

1. Spend Time Instead of Dollars
 
Grace & Bella fishing at the lake

Outdoor activities like fishing, camping, hiking, or even a trip to the zoo and a day at the park, are lots of fun and healthy, too.

2. Be Creative: Crafty
 
Drawing by Grace




 
Grandparents have the wonderful opportunity to pass on their talents such as drawing, painting, sewing, baking, woodworking, playing an instrument, etc., to their grandchildren. (Pinterest is also a great way to find creative ideas.)
 
Spur-of-the-Moment Fun




OK, as grandparents we’re allowed to spoil, but just a bit. An occasional triple scoop of ice cream or a trip to the mall can make a day fun and memorable.


Are you spoiling right or, are you spoiling rotten?

Share your ideas of how you spoil right, not rotten.


-Beth



4 comments:

  1. Good advice. I am taking notes because I'm not a grandma yet. I didn't spoil my kids and pray I won't spoil my grandkids either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Jeanne Doyon. A little spoiling is ok for a grandparent, but overindulgence over time creates little monsters. Hope you'll tune in again next Monday for: Three's Company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wise advice, Beth. Even though I'm not parenting Claire, I want to be a good and reasonable influence, not a crazy over-the-top grandma ... well, except maybe with clothes from Cracker Barrel. :) Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim Henson, it is hard to resist the temptation to be over-the-top, but when it comes to those cute Cracker Barrel clothes, who can resist?

    ReplyDelete